This means explaining how our work benefits bottom-line goals. Part of this is showing and telling people what PR is and isn’t.
Here is a quick checklist of what PR is not:
1. The department whose sole purpose is to write and edit press releases.
2. The business function whose only raison d’etre is publicity.
3. A business function that deals with the media and/or bloggers and NOTHING else.
4. A way to get free advertising. NOT
5. Ever guaranteed to generate coverage.
6. Ever 100 percent controllable.
13. The vocation that idiots who could not make it as journalists go into.
15. The only place to house social media.
16. A complex voodoo priesthood that can only be carried out by geniuses with tons of experience.
17. Capable of whitewashing all sins.
18. A profession whose practitioners are all adept at speaking plain English.
19. Necessarily or invariably the adversary of media.
20. A synonym for spin.